Friday, July 25, 2008

Sorrento...the most beautiful place in the world...

So far, Sorrento is the most beautiful place I have yet seen while in Italy...actually it is probably the most beautiful I have ever seen, period. Sorrento is a little town just at the northern point of the Amalfi Coast. They are known for their lemons, which are everywhere and beautiful. I was so sad that I missed a great photo opportunity...there was a little tiny truck with a huge load of fresh lemons just picked from the trees. Dang that I didn't have my camera in my hand at that point!

We arrived just as the sun was going down, so it was just perfect. We checked into our little quaint hotel, on the coast, which was unbelievable. On that coast, everything is built up really high. You have to actually take an elevator down to the beach. Our hotel room had a view like nothing I have ever seen. Our windows actually opened up (no screens at all) and you could see the hills and the sea down below (very far below). Nothing like that would ever get by in the United States! We slept with the windows open and got ready in the morning while looking out at the sea.

After dropping off our bags, we went over to the hotel next door to have dinner. We had a fairly good view from our table...

Can you believe this? I kept just pinching myself, thinking I was in some kind of a dream or something. I think I said "wow" 100 times that night (sorry President Acerson).

Our view of the city was just spectacular.


The restaurant had really great food, although we were totally distracted by the view...it could have been mac & cheese and we still would have loved it. However, this was no mac & cheese...

This is the view from our table at the end of our meal. What perfect timing was that? After dinner we went walking through the town. We had great gelato and did some fun shopping. I actually got Janessa a REALLY nice surprise there, which I can't divulge at this time, since she reads my blog!

I even went back the next morning to see our view one more time. It was still beautiful in the morning.

P.S. I am posting this right now on Sunday night at 11:45 p.m. after an incredibly exhausting day. I have chosen Sorrento to start with since it had been my favorite so far (lots more to come). Sister Acerson (a.k.a. my sister Karen) is worried that these pictures look like they are on vacation as well. They are NOT on a vacation. They work very, very hard and don't get very much sleep at all. While her best friend Pam, her husband Andre and I are seeing sights, they are interviewing missionaries all over Italy. You will see pictures later on that shows all their hard work. But, it's nice that we get to "tag along" on their trip through Italy.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I think i want to cry! Nick and I stayed in Sorrento for about 4 days. We loved it. It was in Januray, so there wasn't hardly anyone there, which made it even more peaceful. We stayed in a hotel I think right by yours. I have pictures in the exact same place. I should have told you our favorite restaurant there. We went there like 3 times, it was so good. I am glad you are having such a good time!

Stacy said...

So now looking at the picutres closer, I think that is the same hotel we stayed at. Was it called La Tonnarella? If it wasn't it has to be like right next to it....enjoy the Amalfi coast!

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

It is fun to see what you are doing there since I probably won't ever get to go, and your pictures are turning out really nice!

Annalee said...

Amen to "WOW" on that view Ellen! Thanks for posting so we can all see through your eyes (and amazing camera and photography skills:)

Tell Karen & President Hello and that nobody will ever doubt what they are doing there!! I have worked with her and know first hand that they are both incredibly hard-workers and do everything top-notch (even if they have to sacrifice their own sleep!) I'm so glad you were able to go! You deserve it!
Love, Annalee & the Dimonds